Recently, I’ve decided not to make excuses for not updating my blog more frequently. After all, my husband and I just moved to Vermont last week! With a wedding this spring, then a honeymoon and then a house hunt and an across New England move, things have been kinda nuts. But it is incredibly heart-warming that more than a few people have asked when the next installment of my wedding dress story would be posted. So, patient readers, here you are :)
While I was working on the muslin (the “test” dress I made in order to get the perfect fit, before cutting into the 1940s satin), I brought my grandmother’s dress to a local dry cleaner to be cleaned and freshened up. The dress came out fine, smelled better (less musty) and was really to be taken apart. I removed the bodice of the dress from the skirt, as I wanted to save it for posterity as a family heirloom. As I cut out the pattern pieces in the satin, I noticed a dark smudge in the fabric. I took the piece to the same local cleaner, thinking if it came out, it came out, and if not, I’d live with it. That was a BIG MISTAKE. I cannot tell you all how heart broken I was when I picked up that pattern piece only to find the fabric completely ruined. Well, the spot was gone (!!), but the material was upbraided and dulled most likely by someone forcibly scrubbing out the stain. I was close to tears and honestly, pretty ticked off, so I left without saying anything (which is unusual for me; I like to speak my mind!).
After a brief crying spell (a necessary aspect of wedding planning and making one’s own dress!), I resolved to find a way around this hiccup. I had been relying on seamstress/dressmaker Cheryl at Threads, where I also work part-time, for fittings. She is a professional in every way and she aided me in laying out the pattern and finding an alternative: to create a waist seam and therefore eliminating the need for the ruined piece. An added bonus: I actually had enough fabric to do so! Here I am, pretty relieved I was able to, in the words of the great Tim Gunn, make it work!
The smooth and shimmery satin really stands out in photographs – true 1930s glamour, just what I was aiming for!
My design included making sleeves from the lace of Grandma’s dress. Unfortunately, the lace had seen better days, so I decided to source out a fabric that would coordinate with the satin. Mood Fabrics of New York had lovely cream colored lace that was interwoven with a pale gold – it complimented the satin beautifully. Plus, the lace had an “eyelash” border – just what I was looking for to use along the edge of the sleeves.
The dress is /so close/ to being finished! Below are photos of the dress just before hemming, and little things such as adding the eyelash trim to the sleeves, and such. I am pretty happy!
The decorative buttons down the back seam are also from Granma’s dress. If you are wondering, I was able to slip into the dress via an invisible side zipper!
Again, thank you for reading. See you next time with the final installment, replete with wedding day photos!